Kevin John O’Hara
Kevin is an experienced solicitor covering conveyancing, private client, and litigation.
For a number of years, Kevin was known to be one of the highest-ranking criminal lawyers on the south coast running a very successful criminal law department between 1975-2010. He then went on to expand to Private Client and Conveyancing whilst building up his practise to deal with many aspects of law.
Areas of expertise
- Wills – advising on and preparing wills, including straightforward wills, life interest wills and discretionary trust wills, amongst others.
- Lasting Powers of Attorney – advising on, preparing and registering both Property & Financial Affairs and Health & Welfare Lasting Powers of Attorney.
- Enduring Powers of Attorney – registration of Enduring Powers of Attorney
- Grant of Probate – applications for Grants of Probate (if there is a Will) or Letters of Administration (if someone has died intestate, or without a will).
- Administration of deceased estates – dealing with the entire administration of the estate from date of death.
- Estate planning – including Inheritance Tax and care home fee advice.
- Management of affairs – for incapacitated clients.
- Magistrates Court (privately paying only, not legally aided) – representing clients for plea hearings, sentence hearings, plea before venue (for either-way offences) and trials.
- Crown Court (privately paying only, not legally aided) – representing clients for plea hearings, sentence hearings and trials.
- Sale and purchases of residential land and property – including leasehold and freehold acquisitions whether owner/occupier or for investment.
- New mortgages or replacement of existing mortgages – over leasehold or freehold property.
- Transfers of Equity – transfers between existing owners or new owners and matrimonial transfers.
- Contractual disputes
- Property disputes, for example boundary issues
- Landlord & Tenant matters
- Building disputes
- Contested Will disputes
- Debt recovery
Kevin has a wealth of expertise in Dispute Resolution and assists clients by providing practical advice on how to resolve the issues that have arisen either by court proceedings or through alternative dispute resolution methods.
He takes a practical, understanding approach to his client’s legal issues and accepts instructions from both claimants and defendants guiding them from the early stages of a dispute through to a satisfactory settlement.
A number of high-profile criminal cases that have ended up being covered on Southern and National News.
Kevin initiated the start of working closely with charities which has since been continued with his son within the firm.
Qualified as a legal executive in 1964 following up as a qualified solicitor in 1974.